Prince Edward Island and Halifax
March 5th, 2011
Calgary Chapter Summary
Our chapter has currently been engaging in initiatives on an individual basis, rather than as a group. We have been involved in the following projects:
1) Completion of Fistula Stories Package with the National Council of Churches: Tahira acted as the Islamic Consultant for the Fistula Stories initiative, including formulating prayers, discussion questions, and Islamic perspectives on fistula. This project was presented at a UN conference in New York on February 2011.
2) Safa has continued to maintain relations with the IFCN or Interfaith Community Network in Calgary.
3) Mumtaz has attended several round table sessions with the Sheldon Chumir Foundation for Ethics on issues regarding honor killing and the nikab. Mumtaz has also been working with the Canada Bridges Foundation and being involved in their initiatives
4) Mumtaz also provided information on an op-ed for the Calgary Herald regarding issues of the Nikab.
5) Tahira is speaking at the Metropolis Conference on how Canadian Muslim Youth are changing the face of their faith and changing the discourse on Islamophobia with Web 2.0 tools.
6) Tahira was heavily involved with the Vancouver MYCanada initiative and the planning with all three of their workshops, and is looking to assist in holding a Calgary MYCanada event in the coming weeks
Official CCMW activities in Calgary took a hiatus this year, as key members had major life changes. Prior to this formalized hiatus we were able to run a Muslim and Canadian Family Law workshop for service providers which was not only successful but also sparked interest in future workshops from other organizations.
All members continued their volunteer activities with various groups and social services within the city, and have maintained strong ties with these organizations. We are hoping to move forward once again in Calgary with re-establishing relationships, welcoming new members, a new formalized structure, and a renewed vigour for the year ahead.
Archived Calgary chapter material
© 2010 Canadian Council of Muslim Women. All right reserved.